6 x 6 quilt block
Military service and patriotism are an integral part of the Carruth family, owners of Carruth Furniture.
The Patriotic Tribute quilt block honors all who have served in the U. S. Military and those will serve in the future. The star in the middle acknowledges Gold Star Mothers who have lost children in the service of this country.
Frank Carruth who started the business in 1953 was a World War II Army veteran. His cousin Jack, who had worked in the store since it started, later purchased the business in 1967. He served in the U. S. Navy during World War II and his son John, the current owner, was a member of the S. C. National Guard.
After the war, Frank owned and operated a Sinclair filling station, the Firestone Tire and Appliance Store and auto repair business on property at the corner of U. S. 176 and Highway 14. The first television set in Landrum was displayed in the Firestone Store window and John recalls stories of people gathering around outside the window to watch.
Frank built Carruth’s on adjacent property at 104 S. Howard St.
The store burned to the ground on Mother’s Day 1997 except for the exterior walls and floors. These were incorporated into the rebuilt and remodeled structure.
John serves on Landrum City Council and is active in community affairs. His older daughter Nicole Chapman is the third generation to work in the store.
The Carruth family has lived in Landrum for more than 90 years.
Hung July 2013
Funded by Carruth Furniture and the Mary F. Kessler Fund/Polk County Community Foundation, Tryon, NC