4 x 4 quilt block
A traditional pattern, Flying Bats, on the corner of the Mullins Cleaners building, is sponsored by the Christopher Family.
Perry Earle Christopher operated Christo Cleaners in the same building prior to purchase by the Mullins Family.
Mary Miller Earle Christopher, creator of the fabric block, was born in 1869, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. O. P. Earle in the home now known as Four Columns. After finishing Hollins Institute in Virginia, she returned home to marry Dr. Richard Goode Christopher in 1897. The land where Four Columns stands was settled in the 1760s; the plantation and farm became known as Earlesville, SC.
Their first home was built on a portion of her land inheritance, now the site of Bi-Lo and Wood Creek Dental. Later they moved to their main residence and his office on the corner of Lee and E. Rutherford where the Landrum Post Office now stands.
Mrs. Christopher loaned books and tutored Latin, sharing her family’s love of education with local students. Of their nine children only seven sons lived to adulthood. Four of these - John, Baylis, Perry Earle and Gerard, remained in Landrum and were involved in business, community and church affairs.
The extensive Earle land holdings extended into neighboring counties and included what is now Landrum. Nancy Earle, Mrs. Christopher’s sister, was the second wife of Rev. John G. Landrum. A portion of her inheritance was given for the depot, named Landrum Station.
Additional Earle land, sold in lots, created the Landrum business district. Through the years, Earle descendants have donated land for Brookwood Park, Landrum First Baptist Church and O. P. Earle Elementary School.
As the town of Landrum expanded around the railroad, the name of Earlesville disappeared forever.
Hung August 2015
Sponsored by the Christopher Family and the City of Landrum